Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Laptop Swap



Yesterday was pretty dismal when two very disappointing things were realized for Papa Fox.
1)  We completely miscalculated (by A LOT) his college graduation date, and
2)  His computer was kaput. Blue-screen-of-death done-zo. D-E-A-D.

How on earth we magically deleted an entire semester is beyond me.  Seriously, we overcompensated his graduation date by an entire semester and just realized it yesterday.  Don't ask me how because he had to correct me in all my optimism.  Shrug it off.

Then there was the laptop.  How or why is also beyond me.  Then again, it's not my computer, so I don't use it everyday and see the small annoying signs of despair like Papa Fox would, but still, it seemed so sudden.  Like a terrible accident.  Regardless, I know as well as Papa Fox that BSOD is never a good sign and usually not worth trying to fight, so we bought him a new laptop.

Here's my take on the whole situation.  This dead laptop (red one above) lasted three years, almost to the month.  Dead Red up there was given to him July of 2010 and here we are, June 2013, with the blue-screen-of-death.  All things considered, I feel like I expected more, but, I'm also an Apple addict (iLife all the way) and my laptop from which I'm communicating from was purchased in 2007.  Granted, my laptop is completely behind in software (by two upgrades, I know, I cry...) and the CD drive crapped out just days after my two year applecare expired, but, still very much alive!  So maybe that skews my expectations a bit.

Lucky for us (I think, anyway), there was a laptop on sale for $279 at Best Buy today as one of their Father's day specials.  Considering Dead Red didn't have a CD drive like the new one and he's going from a Netbook to a Laptop, it's kind of an upgrade.  One thing did kind of nag me, though - when I bought it, the gentleman helping me tried to upsell me on an Asus because he said that this particular laptop is the bottom of the bottom and it's not expected to last very long and it is apparently slow when it comes to processing.  Only time will tell and I'm sure Papa Fox won't care since, really, it just needs to last him until he finishes his next spring semester, but it still kind of bugs me. Inception.

No comments:

Post a Comment